This guide aims to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about ILL.
More questions? Please contact email@example.com (202) 663-5900
Are there fees for Borrowing?
In most cases, there is no charge to the user for interlibrary loans. Some libraries do, however, charge a fee (averaging $15). If there is a fee, you will be notified and can cancel the request.
Creating an ILL Account
The SAIS Library ILL system (also known as ILLiad) requires that you create your own account, a simple process consisting of entering your name and contact information and choosing a username and password.
Have an account, but have forgotten your password?
- Click on SAIS Interlibrary Loan
- Click on Forgot Password
- Enter your username and click on Reset Password
- You will receive an e-mail message which contains a link that you must click on in order to change your password.
If you have any problems or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to a member of the library staff.
Before you submit a request
Ready to submit an interlibrary loan request? We may already have what you need.
For Books, check:
- Catalyst - the JHU Libraries Catalog. If you find a book at another JHU library, you may submit a request. Books are delivered Monday-Friday via courier and are usually received within 2 business days.
- Borrow Direct - a cooperative book sharing program between JHU and several other university libraries. If you find a book, specify "SAIS Library" as the pick-up location before submitting your request. Expect delivery in 5 business days.
For Articles, check:
- FindIt Journal Linker. FindIt will help you discover if JHU offers online access to the journal you need.
If you are not able to find your book or article in these sources, please submit your request via Interlibrary Loan (ILL). As a general rule, you will receive requested articles electronically within a few days, sometimes within hours. Books usually take an average of two weeks to be delivered.